Summer and bugs seem to go together like feet and Legos. They’re just as annoyingly painful too. Running into the occasional mosquito in the yard or an ant running along the counter might seem like par for the course, but when summer pests turn into an infestation, it’s time to take action.
Like the rest of us, summer pests just want to come out and play. For most pests, spring and summer are seasons when they’re at their peak activity. Most pests are looking for food, water, and shelter. While it’s often hard to control pests, there are many things you can do as a homeowner to create an unattractive environment for them.
- Keep vegetation and firewood away from your foundation.
- Keep countertops, floors, and pantries clear of crumbs.
- Store food in sealed plastic containers.
- Turn off outdoor lights that attract insects.
- Seal gaps and cracks around your foundation, walls, doors, and windows.
- Repair damaged screens and vents.
- Clear clutter and cardboard from your basement, garage, and attic.
- Eliminate standing water around your home.
- Keep gutters clear.
- Fix leaks.
- Keep your yard free of wood and brush debris.
Bed bugs are different than most pests. They don’t enter your home on their own four, six, or eight feet. These hitchhikers come into your home on your clothes and bags. Whether you’ve been traveling afar or just out for an afternoon at the movies, follow these tips:
- Inspect your clothing and bags before re-entering your home.
- Encase your beds in plastic covers.
- Always check hotel mattresses, headboards, and upholstered furniture for bed bugs.
- Never place your luggage or bags on the floor of a hotel room.
Sometimes all the prevention in the world isn’t enough to stop a summer pest infestation. Should you discover an infestation, indoor and outdoor pest removal services are available to rescue your summer. Whether you need mosquito abatement, wasp removal, spider removal, bed bug or termite control, a professional pest control company such as Ecola can provide you with a free home or termite inspection and natural pest control prevention and eradication plans.
Don’t let summer pests ruin your summer enjoyment. Call Ecola to learn how you can control a summertime pest infestation at (800) 332-BUGS (2847).
← Newer Older →