Firsthand accounts of the difficulties of a bed bug infestation aren’t common. That’s why we at Ecola wanted to bring it to the attention of our customers and readers. The experience of the family in this Today’s Parent magazine article is not unique. When bed bugs strike in your home, it could be a daunting physical and emotional experience.
Bed bugs have been a pest to humankind for thousands of years. These small, wingless insects travel from location to location on our clothing, suitcases, backpacks, and other cloth surfaces and hide in the cracks and crevices of our mattresses, headboards, upholstered furniture, and box springs.
This family’s story is typical in several ways:
• They never actually saw a bed bug.
• Only one of them had the red rash typical of bed bug bites.
• Bug removal was not easy.
• They weren’t careful enough about the pest control company they hired.
Bed Bugs Are on the Rise
In a survey conducted in 2008, 91% of the pest control professionals surveyed said they encountered bed bugs in the last two years, while in the past five years, only 37% had encountered bed bugs.
While preventing bed bugs may not be totally possible, there are ways to lessen your exposure:
• Inspect hotel rooms carefully upon arrival.
• Don’t put your luggage on the bed or on upholstered surfaces of hotel rooms.
• Keep your purse or backpack on your lap when seated on a bus or in a waiting room area.
• Use a protective plastic cover to encase your mattress and box spring.
• Vacuum frequently to suck up any of these pests.
• Reduce clutter to reduce hiding places.
• Seal cracks around baseboards and light sockets.
• Think twice about bringing home used beds or couches without thoroughly inspecting them.
Bed Bugs Require Professional Help
Like the family in this article, you’ll need professional help to rid your home of bed bugs. At Ecola, we have years of experience. If you suspect you have bed bugs, contact us at 1-800-471-BUGS (2847) today to request a free inspection and expert guidance. Our trained professionals know exactly what to look for and how to rid your home quickly and with the least amount of upheaval and stress.