Spring is on the horizon. Before we know it, our clocks will be set forward for the year and daylight will last noticeably longer. Just as we will be reawakening for spring, so will unwanted pests.
Spring is a time when bugs and rodents emerge from the frost to forage for food and raise their young. As you begin to organize your spring cleaning schedule, add these cleaning steps to help keep these unwanted visitors out of your home.
In the Kitchen
- Store food in sealed airtight containers. Ants, roaches, moths, and rodents can easily chew through boxes and bags or fit through gaps in their seals.
- Clean and maintain crumb-free counters and cabinets.
In the Bathroom
- Repair any leaks in faucets, tubs, and underneath in the cabinet area of your vanity, as pests are attracted to access to a steady supply of water.
- Replace any broken tiles, as floor cracks can allow moisture to build up.
In Attics & Basements
- Replace cardboard storage cartons with sturdy plastic bins. Cardboard is a favorite food of termites.
- Reduce clutter by getting rid of unused and unwanted belongings. Many pests, including spiders, love hiding amongst the clutter.
- Use a dehumidifier to ward off dampness that can attract centipedes, roaches, silverfish, and other pests.
At Entry Points
- Seal cracks along window sills and around doors.
- Repair holes in window screens.
- Consider installing a mesh barrier under porches and decks to keep rodents out.
- Replace deteriorated weather stripping.
In the Yard
- Trim bushes and branches away from your home that can be a perfect home for termites, beetles, bees, and wasps.
- Eliminate standing water that attracts mosquitos.
- Clean the gutters, as wet leaves and debris are an invitation to pests.
- Move firewood at least 20 feet from the home.
The Best Defense for Removing Pests
Pests are excellent at hiding their presence. The tips in this article are excellent guidelines for making your home less attractive to pests all year round. However, when you want to know for certain that your home and haven are free of pests, it’s time to call Ecola.
Ecola provides free expert advice and free termite inspections for your home. Contact Ecola at 800-471-BUGS (2847) to schedule your inspection. If you do need professional help to remove pests, Ecola is your best partner.