The pandemic has brought about many changes to our routines over the past year. As we social distance, pests like ants, rodents, roaches, and more have figured out that our change is to their benefit.
Many people are working or studying from home. This significant uptick in the time spent at home is translating into more food storage, more food prep, and more waste, all of which is attracting the attention of pests looking for a reliable food source.
What to Look Out For
Household pests are experts at finding a way into our homes. The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) is reporting a large increase in rodent activity, citing over 300,000 online engagements in March 2020 about rats in kitchens. They even point to incidents of rodents invading home delivery food packages and squirrels making seldom-used cars into their homes.
As spring’s warming temperatures signal an increase in most pest activity, now is the time to buckle down on steps to limit pest infestations in your home. The NPMA and Ecola recommend these steps to limit your vulnerability to a pest infestation during the pandemic:
- Store all dry goods in sealed plastic containers to discourage pests.
- Closely inspect all home food delivery packaging for pests both within the cardboard and signs of the packages being chewed through. Rodents carry many diseases that you want to avoid.
- Establish good clean-up routines with all members of the household that include keeping all counters free of crumbs, sweeping floors, and sealing trash containers.
- Don’t leave pet food bags open or in pest-accessible bowls.
- Ensure children don’t leave food behind in play areas or their bedrooms.
- Tighten up access rodents may find to your garage, basement, and attic.
- Check under the hood of your car for nesting rodents.
When Professional Pest Control is Needed
Ecola understands that pest control during the pandemic brings up health concerns for families. That’s why they’ve developed a program to disinfect your home called, ‘Leave it Clean’. In addition, because at home is where you need to be right now, they offer alternative pest control solutions that are family and pet-friendly – ones that do not require you to leave your home. Call Ecola to eliminate your exposure to pests at 800 471-BUGS (2847).
← Newer Older →