While winters in California are considerably more temperate than in most states, there’s still a drop in temperature that encourages pests to seek out shelter and food in warmer quarters – your home. Being aware of each season’s pests allows you to better understand what to look out for and how to protect your home and family from the health hazards and destruction that these pests and termites bring.
Winter Pests and Termites
Unfortunately, some pests are an all-year-round dilemma, but pests specific to winter include the following:
● Rodents: As warm-blooded mammals, rodents are one of the most common winter pests. Left unchecked, they will build nests in your attic, get into your food, and put your health at risk. House mice, Norway rats, and roof rats are the most common rodent home invaders, and they carry bacteria, diseases, parasites, and viruses, making rodent control a must.
● Termites: Termites are a four-season menace to your home. It is imperative to control pest termite since their damage is considerable and costly.
● Black Widow Spider: Inside your home, the black widow spider likes to hide in dimly lit places like garages, basements, closets, and cluttered areas. Be careful. They are poisonous and do bite. Black widow bites will cause muscle cramps, spasms, and pain.
● Carpenter Ants: Carpenter ants, unlike rodents or black widow spiders, are not a health hazard to you or your family, but they can cause considerable damage to your home. Eating your wood from the inside out as they build their retreats, they often begin satellite nests as their colonies grow.
● Bed Bugs: Once bed bugs find their way into your home, they are difficult to eradicate on your own. Winter is a time when bed bugs are easier to come in contact with because we spend more time in places where infestations are likely such as movie theaters, waiting rooms, and holiday vacation hotel rooms. Effective bed bug removal should be done by a professional.
● Roaches: Winter is the perfect time for roaches to snuggle into your home for warmth, food, and water. Roaches like to congregate near the moisture of pipes and drains. They are hardy creatures, multiply quickly, and pose a health risk because of allergens.
Gaining the Upper Hand with Winter Pests
Getting rid of winter pests is a hit-or-miss occupation on your own. While store-bought or home-made remedies might make a dent in the population, the only way to be certain your home and family are well protected is to call an experienced professional. ECOLA has both the experience and skill to know how to kill termites, roaches, bed bugs and ants fast.
ECOLA is also a respected termite control specialist. Should you discover termites, ECOLA can provide you with a free termite inspection and estimate for natural termite control, an effective and gentler form of termite treatment.
Request Your Free Estimate Today! ECOLA is one of the best choices for family and environmentally friendly alternative treatments.
For more information on treatment, or to schedule a free termite inspection, contact ECOLA Termite and Pest Control Services at (800) 322-BUGS (2847), TermiteLady.com or fill out the attached form.