Insects are experts at home invasion. No matter how careful and vigilant homeowners are, they crawl their way into the tiniest cracks and crevices looking for food, water, and a cozy place to nest and breed. These uninvited guests pose anywhere from a nuisance to serious health threats and structural damage, so their presence is no small matter.
Regardless of whether you live in an apartment or house, here are the top ten pests to be concerned about if you live in southern California:
- Ants: Ants are a common problem wherever you live. How to kill ants depends on the species. Most ants do not physically damage your home, but are nonetheless unpleasant to live with. Carpenter ants, also known as wood ants, do excavate wood to build their nests, so this species is damaging. Your best deterrent is to keep your house clean and free of crumbs or food on counters. But even this does not guarantee ants won’t find your home attractive.
- Bed Bugs: Bed bug infestations are becoming more common. Contrary to belief, they are not a sign of poor hygiene, uncleanliness, or poverty. They can be picked up unknowingly at movie theaters, doctors offices, public transportation, libraries, and more, hitching a ride back to your home on your clothing or bags. Many people try to self-treat, but bed bugs are one of the hardest pests to eliminate. Your best defense is to hire an experienced pest control specialist who knows how to kill bed bugs.
- Fleas: If you have pets, fleas are one of the potential pests that can invade your home. They pose serious health threats to your pets and will bite on you, too. Fleas multiply quickly and are hard to get rid of.
- Roaches: Roaches are one of the more serious pests to have in your home since they pose serious health threats. Children growing up in homes with roaches suffer from more allergies, as well as asthma. There are several different kinds of roaches plaguing California–one in particular is the German cockroach. Most people do not know how to kill roaches since they are extremely resilient.
- Rodents: Rodent control is a must if you find these unclean and unhealthy mammals within your home. The first thing you should do is make sure your surfaces are clean of all crumbs and put all food into plastic containers. Left untreated, rodents will ruin furniture, eat holes into clothing, and even bite through electrical wires.
- Spiders: Spider species such as the Western Black Widow, California Wolf Spider, Long-Legged Cellar Spiders, and Recluse Spiders can be found in the southern California region. Some are harmless, others have bites that are serious, and none are ever pleasant to find in your home.
- Termites: Termites are one of the most destructive pests to homeowners. Termite control is necessary to save your home from the extensive damage of termite colonies. Subterranean, drywood, Formosan, and dampwood termites are the common California species. Regardless of what species you suspect, call a professional for a termite inspection right away.
- Ticks: While mostly found in lawns, particularly yards with trees and shrubs, they can occasionally be found inside homes, especially if you own pets. Carriers of Lyme disease, they are one of the most dangerous pests to have living in or around your home. When ticks are in your home, they will most likely be hiding in moldings, baseboards, and windowsills.
- Wasps: Wasps are social insects that like to build their nests in or near homes. If you are seeing wasps in your home, you might have a nest in the attic or in the eaves of your home. They are attracted to sweet food like fruits, but also eat flies and aphids. Their danger comes from their painful sting.
- Yellow Jackets: Living in large, communal hives, yellow jackets will swarm and sting if they fare provoked. They are also able to sting multiple times, unlike bees, so their eradication is best left to a professional.
Don’t Let These Pests Bug You
Your home is your castle, not theirs, so the sooner you take action to protect yourself from these top ten pests, the better.
Ecola is an excellent choice because, whenever possible, we employ mostly natural, nontoxic solutions. These nontoxic solutions are not only more convenient, but less costly as well. Ecola has natural solutions that help homeowners with natural termite control and robed bug removal. Call us today for your free inspection.
← Newer Older →